FILE PHOTO: Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif attends a news conference in Moscow, Russia, September 2, 2019. Zarif said on Thursday any U.S. or Saudi military strike against Iran would result in “all-out war”. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
DUBAI (Reuters) – Iran’s foreign minister on Friday questioned the United States’ plans for a coalition for “peaceful resolution” in the Middle East while listing repeated Iranian diplomatic initiatives.
“Coalition for Peaceful Resolution?,” Mohammad Javad Zarif said in a statement on Twitter, and listed eight diplomatic initiatives by Iran since 1985, including a peace plan for Yemen in 1915, and a regional non-aggression pact for the Gulf region proposed earlier this year.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday the United States was seeking to build a “coalition aimed at achieving peace and a peaceful resolution”.
Reporting by Dubai newsroom; editing by Christian Schmollinger